lspd.boardonly.com owned by Edward Sutton, AKA John Luther, BKA Jason Tayler, ABKA Clive Babineaux. *Affiliated with NO forum. Please Report any of these documents you see on any other forums to [policeofgta@gmail.com].

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

LSPD DEPARTMENT MANUAL - Personal Conduct

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John Luther
Admin

PostSubject: LSPD DEPARTMENT MANUAL - Personal Conduct   20/4/2013, 16:43

PERSONAL CONDUCT

EMPLOYEE CONDUCT

STANDARD OF CONDUCT.

• The Law Enforcement Code of Ethics is adopted as a general standard of conduct for officers of the Los Santos Police Department.

LAW ENFORCEMENT CODE OF ETHICS.

"As a law enforcement officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind-to safeguard lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder, and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self‑restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...law enforcement."

RESPECT FOR OTHERS.

The cosmopolitan nature of the City is reflected in the diversity of Department employees. In such a diverse environment, biases or prejudices relating to factors such as race, ethnicity, sex, age, economic status, position in the community, or employee status with the Department must not be allowed to influence decision making or conduct involving other employees. While employees are entitled to their personal beliefs, they must not allow individual feelings or prejudices to enter into professional contacts. Employees must treat one another with respect and be constantly mindful that other people are individuals with emotions and needs as significant as their own.

Respect for individual dignity is an integral part of the Department's management philosophy and must be practiced by everyone. Employees shall treat all persons with respect and courtesy, and conduct themselves in a manner that will foster the greatest harmony and cooperation between themselves and other members of the Department.

LOYALTY.

In the performance of their duty to serve society, officers are often called upon to make difficult decisions. They must exercise discretion in situations where their rights and liabilities and those of the Department hinge upon their conduct and judgment. Officer's decisions are not easily made and occasionally they involve a choice which may cause them hardship or discomfort. Officers must be faithful to their oath of office, the principles of professional police service, and the objectives of the Department, and in the discharge of their duty they must not allow personal motives to govern their decisions and conduct.

INTEGRITY.

The public demands that the integrity of its law enforcement officers be above reproach, and the dishonesty of a single officer may impair public confidence and cast suspicion upon the entire Department. Succumbing to even minor temptation can be the genesis of a malignancy which may ultimately destroy an individual's effectiveness and may contribute to the corruption of countless others. An officer must scrupulously avoid any conduct which might compromise the integrity of himself, his/her fellow officers, or the Department.

ATTENTION TO DUTY.

As most police work is necessarily performed without close supervision, the responsibility for the proper performance of officer's duty lies primarily with the officers themselves. Officers carry with them a responsibility for the safety of the community and their fellow officers. Officers discharge that responsibility by the faithful and diligent performance of their assigned duty. Anything less violates the trust placed in them by the people, and nothing less qualifies as professional conduct.

COMPLIANCE WITH LAWFUL ORDERS.

The Department is an organization with a clearly defined hierarchy of authority. This is necessary because unquestioned obedience of a superior's lawful command is essential for the safe and prompt performance of law enforcement operations. The most desirable means of obtaining compliance are recognition and reward of proper performance and the positive encouragement of a willingness to serve. However, negative discipline may be necessary where there is a willful disregard of lawful orders, commands, or directives.

CONDUCT UNBECOMING AN OFFICER.

A police officer is the most conspicuous representative of government, and to the majority of the people, the officer is a symbol of stability and authority upon whom they can rely. An officer's conduct is closely scrutinized, and when the officer's actions are found to be excessive, unwarranted, or unjustified, they are criticized far more severely than comparable conduct of persons in other walks of life. Since the conduct of officers, on- or off-duty, may reflect directly upon the Department, officers must at all times conduct themselves in a manner which does not bring discredit to themselves, the Department, or the City.

WORKPLACE VIOLENCE POLICY.

The safety and security of our employees, volunteers, and visitors is of paramount concern to the Department. In that regard, we are committed to maintaining a workplace free from violence or threats of violence. Thus, threats, threatening behavior, or acts of violence against an employee, a visitor, or any other individual cannot and will not be tolerated. All reports of workplace violence or threats of violence will be taken seriously and will be investigated promptly and thoroughly.

• External Incidents.
    Due to the unique mission of law enforcement, police officers and certain civilian employees, especially those in custodial assignments, receive threats of violence while performing their duties. In most cases, these threats are idle in nature and our employees are trained to recognize those incidents. When such an incident rises above an idle threat, laws and Department protocols are in place to effectively handle the matter, including prosecution of the suspect and protection for the employee. Therefore, this policy focuses more on internal workplace threats.

• Internal Incidents.
    For the purpose of this policy on workplace violence, the Department workplace is considered to be employee interaction at any Department facility as well as any duty-related interaction between employees. Any form of violence or threat of violence (actual or reasonably perceived) involving a Department employee and occurring in the workplace must be reported without delay to a supervisor, commanding officer, or the Commanding Officer, Personnel Group. Such behavior must be reported whether it is committed by another Department employee or a City employee. If management determines that an employee has engaged in workplace violence, appropriate action must be taken, which may include discipline up to and including termination. Any violent behavior committed by an employee outside the workplace, which arises out of a contact made at the workplace, may also result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.

All occurrences of violent behavior between employees will result in formal criminal and administrative investigations. Additionally, in all cases where violent behavior or a credible threat of violent behavior is directed at an employee, the Department will take appropriate legal action and/or other steps necessary to help protect the employee and/or the employee's family members.

An employee shall also report the existence of any restraining order that covers the employee at the workplace or any non-work related situation, such as stalking or domestic violence that may result in violence in the workplace. Under such circumstances, management will take appropriate precautions to help protect its employees in the workplace.

• The types of behavior covered by this policy include, but are not limited to:

Direct or implied threats to do harm to another employee or to another employee's property (including intimidating use of one's body or physical objects);

Verbally abusive or intimidating language or gestures;

Threatening, abusive, or harassing communication (i.e., phone calls, letters, memoranda, faxes, e-mail);

Unauthorized possession of a weapon at the workplace (including City parking lots);

Destructive or sabotaging actions against City or personal property;

Engaging in a pattern of unwanted or intrusive behavior against another (i.e., stalking, spying, following); and,

Violation of a restraining order.

Furthermore, the Department is committed to supporting the City's adopted policy on workplace violence. The Department will assist other City entities, where appropriate, in the prevention, investigation and prosecution of workplace violence.

REFUSAL TO WORK.

The alternative to law and its enforcement is anarchy and its resulting devastation. An officer's commitment to public service and professional ethics precludes engaging in strikes or similar concerted activities. For these reasons, police officers do not have the right to strike or to engage in any work stoppage or slowdown. It is the policy of this Department to seek the removal from office of any officer who plans or engages in any such strike, work stoppage, or slowdown.

EMPLOYEE'S DUTY TO REPORT MISCONDUCT.

The reporting of misconduct and prevention of the escalation of misconduct are areas that demand an employee to exercise courage, integrity, and decisiveness. Department Manual requires that when an employee, at any level, becomes aware of possible misconduct by another member of this Department, the employee shall immediately report the incident to a supervisor or directly to Internal Affairs Group. Furthermore, an employee who observes serious misconduct shall take appropriate action to cause the misconduct to immediately cease. The fact that a supervisor is present and not taking appropriate action to stop the misconduct does not relieve other employees present from this obligation.

An employee's obligation to report and prevent misconduct begins the moment the employee becomes a member of the Los Santos Police Department. Police officers, because of their status as peace officers, have an even greater responsibility to report and prevent misconduct. Experience, rank, or tenure are not factors in knowing the difference between right and wrong, and they do not provide an excuse for failing to take appropriate action. Although supervisors are responsible for investigating allegations of misconduct, all Department employees are responsible for preventing and reporting misconduct.

The citizens of Los Santos expect and deserve employees who possess a high degree of integrity. Any employee who is perceived, justifiably or not, to be condoning or concealing misconduct impairs the trust of the public. Employees must respect and be aware of their responsibility to freely and truthfully report all acts of misconduct and to act, if necessary, to prevent the escalation of those acts. This is essential if the Department is to maintain the trust of the public.

lspd.bordonly.com - © Copyright 2013,
City of Los Santos Personnel Department, The Los Santos Police Department.
All rights reserved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lspd.boardonly.com

LSPD DEPARTMENT MANUAL - Personal Conduct
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1